Child Protection Clearances
We are all aware of the grave problem of child abuse that exists within our society. Each of us, especially parish ministers and volunteers, must do everything possible to help protect those children entrusted to our care.
The US Bishops Charter for the protection of young people requires that every parish be in compliance as far as maintaining a database of volunteers. If you are a volunteer and have not yet completed these requirements, please contact Shirley Jacobs, our Safe Environment Coordinator. She is in charge of updating our records and will be contacting those who have not yet completed all the pieces necessary to be in compliance. Use the links below to help you complete the steps necessary for compliance.
Diocese of Pittsburgh Safe Environment Database Registration (Complete online. When getting on the Diocesan database, please remember you must complete all 10 steps on the application.)
PA State Police Criminal Record Check (Turn in Certificate to the Parish Office)
PA Child Abuse History Clearance (Turn in Certificate to the Parish Office)
Protecting God's Children Workshop
Online Training for Protecting God's Children Workshop (Turn in the certificate you receive to the Parish Office)
Live Training and Registration for Protecting God’s Children Workshop (Turn in the certificate you receive to the Parish Office)
Mandated Reporter Training - Check with the Parish Office to determine if this training is required for your ministry.
Online Training for Mandated Reporter Training through Pennsylvania Child Welfare Resource Center (Turn in your certificate to the Parish Office)
Live Training Registration for Mandated Reporter Training
FBI Criminal Background Check
Waiver for FBI Criminal Background Check for Residents of Pennsylvania for the Last 10 or More Years (Turn completed form in to the Parish Office)
Residents of Pennsylvania for Less than 10 Years - Contact Shirley Jacobs in the Parish Office for information needed to obtain a Fingerprint Check
Code of Pastoral Conduct Pamphlet (Read and turn in the signature page to the Parish Office)
Reporting of Child Abuse Pamphlet (Read and turn in the signature page to the Parish Office)
Completing the Diocese of Pittsburgh Safe Environment Database Registration
As a critical part of our safe environment policy for young people, the Diocese of Pittsburgh has created a centralized electronic database of those people who work, minister and volunteer in the church, especially those who have contact with minors. To create this secured diocesan database, all members of the clergy, parish employees, catechists and volunteers who have contact with the youth of our parish are now required to create an electronic file by completing an on-line application. This application also will include a national background check.
To create your file in the diocesan database of parish and/or school employees and volunteers who have contact with minors:
- Log on to the website for the Diocese of Pittsburgh at www.diopitt.org.
- Scroll down the left hand side of the home page to the “Protecting God's Children” menu and click on "Safe Environment Database". This will take you to the application login.
- At the top of the login page click on the underlined click here where it says, “If you do not have a user id and password, please click here to register.”
- You will now be at the “New User Registration” screen, and all fields under this will require entry except for the email address.
- In the “Primary Site” field, select the entity where you do the majority of your work or ministry. The “Type of Application” requires you to check whether you are an employee or volunteer. The “User ID” field requires that you enter your own password for access to your application. The bottom of this screen explains the requirements of a User ID. The “Password” field is similar, and you will be asked to type it in twice.
- This will take you to the “access code field” where you enter the diocesan password.
- In the “First Name” and “Last Name” fields, type in your name as it appears on your driver’s license. In the “Date of Birth” field, type your date of birth in the mm/dd/yyyy format. You will be asked to type it in twice.
- Write down your User ID and Password for future reference, and click the “Register” button. You should receive a message that you have successfully registered.
- Then, click on the underlined link where it says, “Please click hereto login and continue your application.”
- At the Login Page enter your User ID and Password, and click “Login.” This will take you to the “Application Screen” for you to fill out your application.
If you have any difficulties or questions, contact the parish office at 724.941.9406.